Part of a family of 3 construction projects by G.D. Shaw which appeared in the 1970's in Practical Electronics magazine. The first pic below features the second version called the Minisonic 2. The video features a modern built version that Cogshiftingman built himself. As a kid he always wanted to build a Minisonic and got in touch with Doug Shaw who sent him a original Minisonic2 pcb and a copy of sound magazine which sent him on his way to build this classic sonic wonderment. The Minisonic was based on the original P.E. sound synthesizer which made it's public debut in February 1973.
The Minisonic 2 features:
1) Two Log Law Temperature compensated VCOs with vernier tuning
2) Oscillator Phase Locking up to 9th harmonic
2) Two Envelope Shapers
3) Stereo output with panning
4) External inputs
5) Voltage Controlled Filter (3Hz-15kHz)
6) Two Octave Keyboard
7) Toggle Switch patching (23 switches)
8) Variable Portamento, glide effects up to 1s
9) Ring Modulator
10) Noise Generator
An original Minisonic 2 shown above. And a more colorful restored one shown below.
For further reading and more detailed pics of this instrument and it's interesting history go to http://pcbunn.cithep.caltech...